9 Lessons from Daniel's Prayer Life

1.  Daniel was an Intercessor ~ Dan. 1:1-21, 9:1-23

Daniel consistently sought the Lord on behalf of others. In Daniel 1, he saved many lives through intercession and in Daniel 9, he sought the Lord for forgiveness on the behalf of his people.

2.  Daniel Received Counsel ~ Dan. 2:17-18

Daniel didn't trust in his own wisdom & faith. He sought the counsel of other godly men to bring his petitions before the Lord.

"Then Daniel went to his house, and made the thing known to Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, his companions:

That they would desire mercies of the God of heaven concerning this secret; that Daniel and his fellows should not perish with the rest of the wise men of Babylon."

~ Daniel 2:17-18 ~

3.  Daniel Blessed God ~ Dan. 2:20-23

After God miraculously answered his prayer and saved many lives, including his own, Daniel blessed the Lord with praises and thanksgiving.

"Then was the secret revealed unto Daniel in a night vision. Then Daniel blessed the God of heaven.

Daniel answered and said, Blessed be the name of God for ever and ever: for wisdom and might are his:

And he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding:

He revealeth the deep and secret things: he knoweth what is in the darkness, and the light dwelleth with him.

I thank thee, and praise thee, O thou God of my fathers, who hast given me wisdom and might, and hast made known unto me now what we desired of thee: for thou hast now made known unto us the king's matter."

Daniel 2:19-23 ~


4.  Daniel's Prayer Life was Important ~ Dan. 6:7-11

Daniel's prayer life was not affected by his circumstances. He valued it more than even his own life. He didn't only pray because trouble was coming. He prayed because it was already an important part of his life that he wouldn't forsake.

"All the presidents of the kingdom, the governors, and the princes, the counsellors, and the captains, have consulted together to establish a royal statute, and to make a firm decree, that whosoever shall ask a petition of any God or man for thirty days, save of thee, O king, he shall be cast into the den of lions.

Now, O king, establish the decree, and sign the writing, that it be not changed, according to the law of the Medes and Persians, which altereth not.

Wherefore king Darius signed the writing and the decree. 

Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime. 

Then these men assembled, and found Daniel praying and making supplication before his God."

~ Daniel 6:7-11 ~

5.  Daniel Had No Barriers ~ Dan. 6:10

Just as Daniel prayed with the windows wide open, he didn't have any barriers in his heart between him and God. No walls, no grudges, no roadblocks... simply open access to the Father.

"Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime."

~ Daniel 6:10 ~

6.  Daniel was Humble ~ Dan. 6:10, 9:3

Daniel bowed himself representing humility before God. He also demonstrated humility when he prayed with fasting, sackcloth and ashes. He did not think of himself as a great man of God who could do no wrong. He knew his dependence must remain on God.

"Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime."

 "And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes:"

~ Daniel 6:10, 9:3 ~

7.  Daniel Examined Himself ~ Dan. 9:20

As Daniel was praying for the sins of his people he included himself in the guilty party. He knew he was not above everyone else and as he examined himself, realized that he too was guilty before the Lord.

"And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God;"

~ Daniel 9:20 ~

8.  Daniel was Greatly Beloved ~ Dan. 9:21-23

Daniel's close relationship with God surely played a part in why God considered him "greatly beloved". It wasn't because of his "goodness" or his works. It was because of his faithfulness and devotion to God.

"Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.

And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding.

At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision."

~ Daniel 9:21-23 ~

9.  Daniel was a Fearful Man ~ Dan. 4:5, 8:17, 10:12,19

We can see many times in the book of Daniel where it clearly stats that he was afraid. Perhaps this
had much to do with his prayer life... the reason he so desparately sought the Lord on many occasions.

"I saw a dream which made me afraid, and the thoughts upon my bed and the visions of my head troubled me."

"So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision."

"Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words."

"And said, O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong. And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, Let my lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me."

~ Daniel 4:5, 8:17, 10:12,19 ~

Comments